WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Review -It is a commercial software for Windows to rip DVD discs to video formats that are playable by desktop, mobile, and standalone devices.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Review
DVD ripping may not have the same status today as it had years ago when streaming video was in its infancy, but it is still useful if you want to watch bought DVD movies on other devices such as your smartphone or desktop PC that you own.
A DVD Ripper converts the data on the DVD into another format so that it can be played on devices that don’t have DVD drives.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
WinX DVd Ripper Platinum is a long standing program for the Windows operating system that provides you with functionality to rip DVD discs (protected or not) to the computer (from where you can transfer the resulting files then to another device if that is required).
Download and installation of WinX DVD Ripper Platinum holds no surprises. The installer is clean of third-party offers, and the usual options to create desktop and start menu items are provided during installation.
The installer will load the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum product page however in the default system browser which you cannot block from happening.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Usage
The program supports three main modes of operation: ripping DVD discs, ripping VIDEO_TS folders, or ripping from ISO images.
Before you start using the program you may want to click on options to display the available preferences.
The following options are provided:
- Set the output folder for the ripped video files. It is set to the WinXVideos folder of the user’s video folder on Windows by default. Depending on how much space you have left on that drive and how fast it is, you may want to consider changing the output folder.
- Set the snapshot folder which holds pictures only.
- Open the output folder when the conversion job is finished (enabled by default).
- Shut down the computer when all jobs are finished (disabled by default).
- Default audio language. Defines the default audio language used during the creation of video files.
Select, disc, ISO image or folder from the program’s main toolbar and use the file browser to select the DVD drive, the ISO image on a connected hard drive, or the VIDEO_TS folder.
The program analyzes the selected data and displays the output profile selection menu afterwards. This menu determines the file format, quality and size of the resulting video file.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum supports a lot of profiles and separates them into device, web video and common video / music profiles.
- Device profiles are further divided into manufacturer groups. The program supports Apple, Android, Microsoft, and Sony devices, and lists other manufacturers under the “other devices” category as well. Once you have picked a manufacturer, a list of supported devices is offered with one option always being “general” which you should pick if none matches the device you want to watch the videos on.
- Web video profiles designed for publication on the Internet (strange addition to a DVD ripper but maybe useful if you rip home made video DVDs).
- Common Video / Music profiles which cover usage on PCs or Macs.
The application supports the majority of video file types you would a program of its kind to support including avc, avi, mp4, mpeg, wmv and mov (no support for mkv though).
The default quality setting is set to normal by default. You can switch to low or high quality instead which speeds up or slows down the ripping process. You do get options to customize the selection later on.
Once you have selected the initial conversion profile you are taken to the main ripping screen.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum lists all titles that it found on the DVD in its interface and highlights the main title on top of that which, at least when it comes to commercial DVDs, holds the main movie or first episode of a TV show.
Each title is listed with its playtime, aspect ratio, and audio and subtitle information. You can select one or multiple titles and modify a couple of settings right on the screen.
You can click on the audio next to a title to pick a different audio source if available. The same is true for subtitles, but you may also load an external subtitle file from your system to have it added to the title.
There is also a preview option which you may find useful if you have difficulties finding the right track.
Last but not least, you may select to merge all titles that you have selected into a single video file, or keep them separate.
A click on edit next to a title opens basic editing options:
- Adjust the audio volume.
- Enable inner and extra subtitles, and define their position.
- Crop and expand the video.
- Trim the video to cut it.
A click on the cog wheel icon next to the main title opens video profile customization options. You can use them to modify the audio and video codec, change the frame rate, resolution, bitrate or aspect ratio, or the audio sample rate.
Hit the run button once you have customized the conversion settings to your liking to start the ripping.
The program can also be used to back up discs, clone DVD discs to ISO images, or to VIDEO_TS folders.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a professional program that is easy to use and with enough customization options to be suitable for users of all experience levels.
The program is expensive on the other hand considering that free applications are available that you can use for basic tasks as well.